Things to Consider for the Future of Mariemont
If you are progressive in your views about the future of Mariemont, I believe that you would support many of the following initiatives during the next four years.
- Cooperative agreements with adjoining communities to share police and fire services to reduce redundancy and cut taxes.
- Development of the South 80 into a more complete recreational destination.
- A long term solution to the chronic parking shortage in Mariemont.
- See new agencies emerge like 3CDC in OTR in Cincinnati to spur economic development and the rejuvenation of Old Town.
- Electric aggregation for Village residents.
- The hiring of a City Manager/ Village Administrator.
- New Village Ordinances that imposes term limits, reinstitutes the elected position of Village Treasurer, and increases the number of Council Members.
- A balanced budget without erosion of the Capital Improvement fund.
- Renovation of the Municipal Building
- A comprehensive tree management program
- Continued trash collection in the back.
- Revision of the Murray Intersection and support for Columbia Township to improve the Southern gateway to Mariemont.
- A revisiting of Mariemont Preservation’s Vision 2021 plan.
- The demolition of the Steam Plant with condo development. (Work in progress?)
- A better rating for Mariemont in Cincy Magazines’ Best Burbs.
- Measures to decrease the polarization of the electorate in Mariemont with a more democratic and participatory Village Government.
Dick Wendel MD, MBA