Driving east into Mariemont on Route 50, there is an immediate sense of being surrounded by trees. Green spaces crowd right up to the highway, and Wooster Pike itself is divided, with grassy medians and maturing trees. On the right as you enter in this direction are Whiskey Hollow and Dogwood Park. The motorist then passes Dale Park, which covers about five acres on the north side of Wooster Pike. The area was originally a soggy meadow, with a layer of quicksand that threatened to swallow up a steam shovel being used to dig the basement of Dale Park School during construction of the Village in the 1920’s. The quicksand was able to be drained into the creek that runs through the old meadow. In addition to the school, currently the Waldorf School, and its play fields, the park encompasses the lich gate near the cemetery, as well as the section containing the Family Statuary group, formally know as Les Enfants.
Proceeding along Wooster Pike, one comes to the Mariemont Square with its daffodil fountain and park benches. Just past the Square is a three-acre wooded lot dedicated to Mariemont’s first
mayor, E. Boyd Jordan. This small park, bounded by the Pike, East Street, and Miami Road is largely a natural landscape featuring a fine grove of American Beech trees. The trees continue into the median dividing the highway. Some maple, oak and hickory (with an understory of mainly dogwood) fill out the park.
Just before passing out of Mariemont into Columbia Township, one of Mariemont’s newer parks can be seen on the left. Isabella F. Hopkins Park was created by the Village in 1966. At that time, the corner of Wooster Pike and Pocahontas was occupied by a gas station and a strip of motel rooms. The Village acquired the property and turned it into a park. The small, formal green space is dedicated to Mary Emery’s sister.